Thursday, February 01, 2007

Mom's Birthday

My mom's birthday was during my week of finals. I definitely had no time to make her a present or cake that week and I used my free time to vegetate. So I made her a MINI cake the following weekend:

It's a "neopolitan" cake with three different batters swirled together: chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. They are the basic chocolate and vanilla cupcake recipes with half the vanilla dyed pink and flavored with strawberry extract. The batters mixed together was pure heaven.

I carefully and tediously frosted this mini cake with chocolate buttercream frosting, sparingly because I had a limited amount of powdered sugar. The rose is strawberry flavored vanilla buttercream.

Inside shot:

This was a really delcious cake. All the flavors mingled together smelled and tasted amazing. And mini makes everything cuter.

13 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger raising_kahne said...

This is the yummies looking cake-not to mention pretty! Your mom must have been so happy(I know I would have been!)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Johanna3 said...

great cake, looks very good! congrats to your mom!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger laura jesser said...

Oh wow, that looks absolutely delicious! My birthday's coming up--that gives me ideas! :)

Hey, sorry about my comment overload on your last post--I was under the impression that they had not gone through, and then when I saw them there and realized I couldn't delete them I was devastated!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Your cake looks amazing. I too just went through finals and believe me, I know what its like to not be able to cook because of being so overloaded with studying. Glad you get through them i one piece.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Amit said...

Hi Kelly,

I think I just drooled on my keyboard after looking at the yummy cake pics. Can you share the recipe please?

Thanks.
-Amit from Boston

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Thank you!

Amit, all the recipes are from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

 
At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

What a pretty mini-cake! You are so clever with the 3 flavors. :o)

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Candi said...

What adorable mini-cakes!!!!!

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Urban Vegan said...

How clever are you?!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

Wow, you're making me totally hungry. :-)

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Peggy the Veggie said...

Neapolitan cake- that is SUCH a cool idea! good job!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Anardana said...

Mmm.. good idea on the swirling! I'm going to try that next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home