Sunday, December 10, 2006

Thanksgiving (Dessert!)

I didn't take any pictures of dinner, but I had Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Garlic, Kale, Green Beans, a cranberry cornbread muffin, Cranberry raisin orange walnut pecan bread, pumpkin butter and cranberry sauce. There was also a dead animal and foodstuffs filled with butter and animal broth.
But for dessert, it was much most desirable and aesthetically appealing!
I made Pumpkin Pie from the Voluptuous Vegan, Tiramisu Cupcakes, Chocolate Cherry Creme Cupcakes, Strawberry Tallcakes, Sparkled Ginger Sandwich Cookies filled with lemon buttercream and a little banana cream pie for Drake. Everything was amazing, and I ended up making the pie again yesterday!







Recipe for the Banana Cream Doggie Pies:
I just made it up as I went. Drake loved it and we gave one to his friend who I was dogsitting.
Two small glass bowls (3-4 in diameter) that are oven safe, sprayed with oil
Crust:
Brown Rice Flour (or any flour, really)
Oats
Almond Butter (or PB)
Water
Pie:
A banana, slightly browned
Cinnamon
More nut butter
Cornstarch

Preheat oven to 325-350 degress F.
In each seperate bowl, stir together a mixture of oats and flour with a spoonful of nut butter and water as needed to create a workable dough. Press into the bottom and edges to make pie crusts. Set aside.
With a fork, mash the banana with a spoonful of nut butter. Add a few dashes of cinnamon. Stir in a a teaspoon or so of cornstarch. Pour the filling into the crusts. Sprinkle the tops with more oats or any other doggie-safe topping.
Cover the tops with foil and bake for about 10 minutes until the filling and crust is slightly firm. Uncover and bake for 5-8 more minutes (I'm not so sure on that time, I had my mom bake them while I was visiting Drake's friend, so keep an eye on them), until firm. Be careful not to cook too long or a skin will form on top (which is what happened, but Drake didn't mind).

My pies were brown because they had to sit in the fridge for a few hours since my mom decided to start cooking the animal right when I was about to put them in the oven.

6 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Johanna3 said...

wow amazing photos, looks so wonderfull!

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Caroline said...

wow, all your food looks so good - and what beautiful cupcakes!
i feel like such a slacker b/c all i've made so far are the chocolate ones. i tried making the peanut buttercream but i added soymilk thta was cold and it messed it up beyond belief. next time it will be all good hopefully.
what seitan recipe did you use for your seitan pastrami in the previous post?
peace!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Dori said...

Cooking is art and you just took it over the top. What a fabuolous display!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Woah, you really went all out. Everything looks fantastic!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Johanna3 said...

Happy Holidays!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Urban Vegan said...

I think you need to open your own bakery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home